Sunday, April 3, 2011

MAC_Week1_Blog2_Response_Kathy_Toth




OK. So now I'm really confused! Who owns it now???


Kathy Toth
http://web.me.com/kjtoth/kjtothMACblog/Blog/Entries/2011/4/2_The_Family_Picnic.html#


"Early in the EMDT program, we had the fear of copyright law instilled in us. Now we are being encouraged to bend that law, if not out and out break it, for the sake of literacy and cultural progress.

My question is: Who owns the rights to the video above? I took the video (not a great video, I admit. I wasn’t planning to until I remembered I could capture the moment on my iphone.) There was no announcement before the performance, like I remember before Bob Dylan started playing, that the use of video equipment was prohibited. But I did not write the song and I did not perform the song. Do I need permission? Can the songwriter sue me for using this video here on my blog? The songwriter posted one of my videos on his facebook page. We never talked about permission. Can I sue him?

Common sense shows us the absurdity of the situation. How would it benefit either one of us to try to maintain control over a three minute piece of video that should be freely shared with anyone interested in viewing it.

Imagine if early oral storytellers wielded the power of copyright we may never have had the tradition of stories passed on orally throughout the generations. Our culture is richer when we share."


@Kathy
Your video makes me wonder about all the video, audio, film and photographic material which is out there in the public realm as archival and historic images. For example, who owns the rights to Neal Armstrong's first footsteps on the moon? Is it truly NASA's image or the TV network's image? What about all the in-person material of that space launch. NASA launched it. John Q Public, et all photographed and filmed it.

Much of the archives of old daguerreotypes are owned by whom? I know that The George Eastman House: International Museum of Photography and Film has the rights to many of those early photographic materials, yet they did not produce them. Who would rightfully own them, and what about the family's estates which contain the family members images?

Retrieved from: http://www.eastmanhouse.org/

2 comments:

  1. Jolee,

    I think that most images from NASA are considered public domain and there's a wealth of images available at:
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/index.html

    As far as I know you only need credit NASA images to use them . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for early daguerreotypes I think most of those are in the public domain as well . . .at least the Civil War works of Matthew Brady are. Another great resource is the Library of Congress:

    http://www.loc.gov/index.html

    ReplyDelete