Tuesday, July 13, 2010

BP4_ Odosketch


Odosketch by Odopod

Recently I’ve had to look for Web 2.0 or open source programs for my digital art curriculum, since it appears that a key component of said curriculum was ordered incorrectly and an incompatible program was ordered in its stead. This has placed my entire Kindergarten through second grade curriculum in jeopardy, since I was planning many of my projects in these grade levels upon this particular piece of software, and now I don’t have it. School starts in the middle of next month! So I happened to receive from my RSS feed an article by David Kapuler from Tech & Learning on Web 2.0 tools for digital art. Thus I found Odosketch.

Odosketch by Odopod is a Web 2.0 tool for digital art, which is “a wonderful site for creating beautiful sketches with colored pencils”, stated David Kapuler (July 11, 2010). Although Kapuler stated that the site emulates color pencil, as a professionally trained artist I can unequivocally state that this is not color pencil, but most akin to the transparency of watercolor painting with a calligraphic-style brush stroke. In fact I was in my element using this simple tool, having majored in Illustration as an undergraduate student. I loved this tool! To be able to render a drawing so loosely using only a mouse was truly astonishing, especially to get this quality of line. This is an exquisite tool!

Kapuler, D. (July 11, 2010). Top 10 Sites for Creating Digital Art. Tech & Learning.
Retrieved July 12, 2010 from, http://www.techlearning.com/article/31344

Odosketch Retrieved July 12, 2010 from, http://sketch.odopod.com/

Rinick, J. (July 12, 2010). “GoldFish.” ScreenShot Retrieved July 12, 2010 from,
http://sketch.odopod.com/sketches/190444

3 comments:

  1. Jolee, this is awesome! I've never seen a tool that flowed like this. I'm sure that it will work out great for your students. I hope that you share some more illustrations done on it, yours and your students'. Did you need to use a mouse or just the touch pad?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,
    This was made by just using a mouse, believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cool program! I can see you utilizing this with your students definitely!

    ReplyDelete